The Story


Monday, May 16, 2011

Sneakiness & Success!!

Well I just returned to Rome after spending 2 days in the south of Italy in Salerno to visit my family in their village. I was really nervous for a number of reasons. 1: Old Italians can be extremely judgemental, condescending and gossipy; 2: Although I have learned a LOT of italian I knew that communication would be very difficult and hence awkward for me; 3: How the HELL was I supposed to get away without eating?

Solution: The Elimination Diet.
Best thing I ever discovered.
I remembered a girl I knew in highschool (who was actually pretty thin) and who had extreme stomach/intestinal problems and so her doctor put her on The Elemination Diet. (TED) Basically she ate nothing for 2 days (only water) and then slowly week by week added in new foods. First low acid vegetables, then whole grains, certain types of diary etc, to see what was bothering her stomach.
This is perfect for Ana's who are in a tight spot with families or going on a fieldtrip etc.
Plus the fact that the language barrier was there just made them have to believe me since they couldnt quite understand what I was saying. HA! I got away with just eating this wok stirfry dish of rice, broccoli, spinnach, and peas (290 cals) which I divied up into 3 and ate peroidically on the train to Salerno. Sunday I ate 2-3 strawberries and an espresso (sensa zucchero), lunch a plate of strawberries and 2 coffees, dinner a bunch of fresh snap peas from my Zia's (aunt) garden!
I am so proud I successfully made it through the weekend with minimally eating. I'm planning on going to Milano this weekend to visit more family and I will use the same excuse for eating then. Plus if I plan my train schedules correctly I can get away with saying I ate a meal there.

Today I decided to reward myself, and try and boost my metabolism a bit.
For breakfast I had a (what seemed large to me) bowl of strawberries
lunch: snap peas and fish cooked with garlic and onion (150 cals?)
Now I've just made myself 3 scrambled egg whites with half a small zucchini and a bit of onion. plus i treated myself by adding some parmesean cheese into the mix. (200/ 250 cals?)

I have been CRAVING cheese lately... don't know why it's rather odd. Maybe I'm just so used to eating it before. But there is no such thing as 'low fat' or 'fat free' anything in Italy...ugh.
Can't wait until I get home and I can have my lean cuisines and low fat laughing cow cheeses...
Also discovered a Subway somewhat close to my house here which is my FAVOURITE thing in the world! yay!

and for more good news....

I GOT ACCEPTED INTO MY FIRST CHOICE UNIVERSITY!!! AAh! :D
Sooo excited, I'll be living on my own, on the other side of the country, being able to do whatever I want, completely independant, learning something I'm actually really interested in. (Advertising)
The program I got accepted into was Advertising & Graphic Design, then next year I have to switch into their BFA in Advertising program but still, sooooo excited!!!

Just goes to show how Ana will reward you for your hard work. I can totally see a difference, and now that I bought a new camera I want to start taking daily pictures, every morning when I am empty, so I can see my progress for motivation. I have only 44 more days until I go back home, not long at all!!

Stay Strong & Think Thin
Love, Ana's Angel xo

No comments:

Post a Comment