The Story


Sunday, March 18, 2012

Frustrated

It's official! I no longer understand my body! Maybe it has no idea what it's doing either, but I am grasping at straws to understand how this can happen!

Thursday: barely exercised, 100 cals on the elliptical +100 crunches, 20 pushups, and 40 hip-raisers, and kept intake to around 200-300cals
Weighed in at 125 (low!)
Friday: burned 200 cals on the elliptical, + 250 crunches, 20 hip raisers, kept intake to around 400cals
Weighed in at 127 (wtf?)
Saturday: burned 500 cals on the elliptical, + 200 crunches, 40 hip raisers, intake was around 500 + a fruit binge? (just keeping with the odd theme I suppose? half a cantaloupe, half a bag of grapes, a small carton of blackberries)
didn't weigh in
Sunday: Just weighed in at 131


HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!?! Sure, my intake's increased but I've been burning it off and everything that I have been eating is safe! I hardly eat anything other than fruits and veggies, I am a vegetarian and I watch my protein intake carefully, I plan my meals around my work outs for optimal digestion, I take a multi-vitamin every day, along with various other supplements including calcium and potassium. I really don't get it. If I was maintaining I might be okay with this, but I'm actually GAINING weight!!

Possible explanations:
- the fruit I ate last night is weighing me down
(even though I weighed in after a BM?)
- my scale is broken
(even though it's only a few weeks old? it was super cheap)
- muscle weighs more than fat
(HA but I have waaay too much fat still so why would my body do that?)
- I was completely empty when I was seeing my low weights and now that my intake is upped the food is still being digested?

The weird thing is I can't SEE the weight on me. My body still looks the same to me, more toned maybe.

Whatever.

So today is Sunday, and I'm going to be water fasting all day. I think I'm going to add this into my weekly routine. I like the idea of cleaning yourself for a fresh new week. A restart. Plus it'll give my body a chance to figure out what the fuck it's doing and get on board.

love always,
xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Not only does muscle weigh more than fat, but after exercise, your muscle tissue swells and absorbs surrounding liquids and your body produces more glycogen in order to aid in repairing them.
    That's why body builders like to lift right before competitions--the increased liquid in muscle causes it to appear fuller.
    Also, when you exercise and restrict calories, your body is under a lot of stress, and as a result releases cortisol. This causes inflammation, which causes more water retention.
    Taking a B-complex vitamin and Omega-3 capsule will help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens all the time. It could be the scale (mine was so bad I had to throw it out). And your right, muscle does weigh more than fat. I use a tape measure so I know I'm losing weight without all of the b.s. of a scale :) Hope this helps. (Btw, you're doing really well)
    All my support,
    <3 A Fragile Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens to me quite often. It drives me insane and I hate it because it's so annoying and you know you shouldn't have gained so much, if anything at all. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. the last time that I got down to 135lbs from 153lbs in like 2 months this started happening to me, I think that it is definitely a combo of your body "actually" having food in your gut and that you are building muscle! I wish I wouldn't have let this stage discourage me last time... maybe then i wouldn't have ballooned back up to 155... Just keep pushing! You may lose weight slower now, but be encouraged by the fact that you are losing fat and building muscle so the scale will read differently.
    good luck!
    xxox
    -G

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog from Posie's. Newest fan of yours.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happens to me allll the time!
    Even if when you weigh yourself you might feel 'empty', I've been told it can be a number of things such as water retention and as unbelievable as it might feel- muscle.
    Hope the scale is good to you from now on hunny, I hate the feeling!

    Si xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes weight isn't an acurate representation. You probably are putting on muscle mass. And its possiblen the food is weighing you down. Either way, I'm sure its all inaccurate, maybe consider dropping how often you weigh in order to see a difference? Like every other day, or if your really brave once a week. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes im sure its muscle mass. try measuring with a tape measure instead of a scale. the body is always a little bigger right after you work out bec of blood flow so i would measure after like 8 hours of working out. (or in the morning) :) im sure your doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete